Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Resolutions?

Well, all the hoopla is done - I was asleep at 11:30 on New Year's Eve but the year arrived nevertheless.  I've already had to correct the date 3 times!

I've never been good at resolutions, so I think I will frame them as challenges.  I've already written about simplifying my life and this challenge is about creativity.  The magazine Scrapbook & Cards Today, a fabulous, FREE on-line magazine plus paper copies has what they call a "Project 12" which is to do a 2 page layout a month based on a sketch by Becky Fleck.  I've been watching this on their blog as the months have gone by and they are wonderful sketches.  There is a prize each month with 2 chances to win.  I've been doing so many cards lately, I think this will help get back to preserving my family's memories.

Having said I was focusing on cards...my other challenge is to send a package of cards each month to Operation Write Home.  I feel it's the least I can do.  I think this is where simplifying will be a good thing.  I love elaborate, highly embellished cards as much as anyone, but they aren't always necessary.  Beautiful cards are also clean and simple (CAS).  The big challenge for me is the NO GLITTER requirement - I certainly understand it, but I love my bling!  My hubby loves to watch tv and I can make cards in the family room while I keep him company.  Sometimes less is more - I just need to convince myself!

My last post was about (I think) a gorgeous card using a Design Line medallion.  One of the great things about stickers like these is they leave a whole lot of goodness behind when you take them off the sheet.  The "innies" as they are known can also make a beautiful card.  Here is my take on the innies:
This is a standard gate-fold card and I stacked and cut out the innies just as I did the stickers themselves. The corner treatments are a Nellie's D Die; a 2 piece die which makes a great layered look, they are available here at a great price.  I am really enjoying exploring this new line of dies.  So, my package of stickers was 2 sheets for $2.00 or $1 a sheet and I made 2 cards from one sheet for $.50 each.  Not bad!  That leads me to my last challenge of the year.  Now that I'm not working,I need to be frugal in my crafting budget.  Trust me, I have plenty of supplies - I just need to use them.

PaperCutz Challenge will be back this week - watch for it!

1 comment:

  1. Getting caught up on my blog reading! Love this card and the previous one. Pretty. Stickers like that can add so much!

    Thanks for your comments about my suede paper elements on my blog. I'm glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete