Wednesday, October 24, 2012

May Arts Ink It Challenge

I was thrilled to be picked to participate in the May Arts Ink It Challenge!  I didn't win and that is ok - the other entries were absolutely gorgeous and put my effort to shame.  Anyway, the challenge was to use the provided ribbon in a project and to color the ribbons.  Helmar Arts provided the adhesive for the challenge.  I chose to make a Thanksgiving table centerpiece with my ribbon.

 This is a close-up.  I built the centerpiece on a gold charger plate I got forever ago for about a buck.  I alcohol inked a pillar candle for the center of the piece.  I repurposed this candle - it started off years ago as a plain white candle that I had alcohol inked in greens and blues.  The candle was still in good shape, but the set looked the worse for wear.  So, I cleaned the old ink off it with rubbing alcohol and re-colored it.  You can't tell it hough.  I used a variety of leaves that I stamped, embossed and cut and also glittered leaves from WalMart and leaves, acorns, etc. from K& Company.  I used tea dye distress ink on the mini pom-pom ribbon wrapped around the candle and held in place with a pin.  The mesh ribbon I painted with gold paint.  It was 1 1/2 " so I cut a piece, cut it in half and tied the bow adhering it with a pin as well.  The suede leaves I colored with a variety of Distress re-inkers;  I wasn't happy with them as the colors did not stay bright.  The last ribbon I was given was a canvas ribbon which I colored green and orange with Copic markers.  I used a black Copic to add faux stitching to the edges.  Little bows are scattered throughout, but you can see the ribbon better on the basket below.  I decided to use my leftovers to make my other table settings as well.

 The cute bushel basket is from a HOTP template.  It was quick and easy to put together with brads.

The place cards are a triangle shaped box which I will fill with candy.  I used a Spellbinder die, bits of leftover ribbon and leaves to decorate.  The alphabet stickers are Mrs. Grossman's.

The napkin ring was made from cardstock with PP strips as a border, a couple of leaves and a K&Company die cut.  I cut a piece of mesh ribbon and tucked it behind.  Simple and festive.
This is a picture of the completed set.  In person the glitter and EP make everything shine.  Everything matches the tablecloth I always use for Turkey Day dinner! LOL.

I only have 15 more place cards and napkin rings to go.  Most papers are DCWV or HOTP.  Leaf stamps are Heartfelt Creations and leaf die is Spellbinders.

As I said, I didn't win the contest, but I am very pleased with how it all came out and I think it will make a beautiful setting for my family.

Thanks for stopping by!  Please leave some comments - I love to read them...


  1. Nice! Sounds like you've got a good start on Thanksgiving already.

  2. looks great, you do so much where do you find the time :)